Saturday 15 November 2014

If you could work anywhere, or do any job.

If money was not a consideration, I would like to work here

Blists Hill Foundry

Or, more accurately, I would like to work in an old style metal foundry, not fussy where it is.

Like most people of my age, I did metalwork and woodwork at school and whilst woodwork was ok, I really enjoyed the metalwork.  We scrolled mild steel and made various things, including house numbers and candle holders.

But what I really enjoyed was making items with the sand moulds. packing the black sand around a form, removing the form and pouring in the metal.  Then the wait for the metal to cool before opening the mould and knocking off the sand.

I loved it.

Every time I go to the museum I love watching the foundry men working, unfortunately, they are not able to work every day so I have to plan my visits.

What would you like to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment