Friday 13 December 2013

A Morning in Norwich.

I spent a few hours (and a few pounds) in Norwich a couple of weekends ago, it is very much a city of opposites.  Designer stores rub shoulders with Primark, jewellery shops with security guards on the doors sit between charity shops, stockbrokers are surrounded by market stalls.

There also seems to be a lot of Gentleman's Clubs on the walk from the train station to the city centre, great expanses of black glass and chrome.  I saw some of the 'artistes' leave as I was walking past at 9.30 in the morning.

I didn't realise that there was a castle in Norwich so I was surprised to see signs to one so I decided to check it out.



The first impression is somewhat spoiled by the huge glass lift.







This is a view from, and of, the balcony running around the inside of the walls.

You can access the garderobes from the balcony, I did, and I have the bump on the head to prove it!  There are signs up telling you that the ceiling is low, what they don't tell you is that it gets lower.

In the lower level of the keep, there is a display retelling the stories of the people who were held there when it was a prison.  It wasn't gory enough for me, I was looking forward to reading stories of torture.  But there were dressing up outfits for children.

Further into the castle there are several permanent displays - there is an Egyptian room, natural history (including bones and teeth from mammoths) and several others.  There is also a cafe and, of course, a gift shop.

After the castle, I had a wander around the shops, and there are hundreds of them!  I really wasn't expecting anything much and was pleasantly surprised.  I will go back again for another visit, but I would definitely allow myself more time.


















No comments:

Post a Comment