Friday 14 June 2013

Ice Cream Bread - My Recipe

I tweeted recently that I had baked some Ice Cream Bread and a few people have asked about it.

I can't remember where I originally came across this phenomenon, but Google it and you will get thousands of hits.

Most of the recipes I looked at suggested 2 cups of ice cream and 1.5 cups of self raising flour (I prefer recipes that don't use weights and liquid measure as I tend to use spoons to measure out my ingredients - 1 rounded tablespoon is 1 ounce, etc).  This was supposed to give a decent depth loaf in an 8 inch loaf tin, my tin is 8.5 inches and the loaf came out very thin.

So my recipe, after a bit of trial and error.

3 cups of ice cream - any flavour will do.
2 cups of self raising flour.
Dried fruit, chocolate chips if desired.

Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees and line or oil & flour a loaf tin.

  • Allow the ice cream to soften, almost to melting point.  It will be much easier to mix in the flour.
  • Mix in the dried fruit, chocolate if using (or anything else you wish to add)
  • Sieve the flour in half a cup at a time and mix well, it will become quite stiff.
  • Scoop into the loaf tin and smooth out, no need to be too careful with this as it will even itself out
  • Bake for approx 40 minutes until a skewer, toothpick, or as I use, a knife, comes out clean.
  • Allow to cool slightly before removing from the tin.
And there we go.

This is the one I baked recently, served with plum jam.


4 comments:

  1. Ohhh sounds and looks yummy!! I've never heard of this before! May have to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do! It is really easy, just make sure that the ice cream is almost melted as it will be easier to mix in the flour. I have only tried it with Vanilla, but that means I can eat it with different jams. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a great idea. I may have to give this a go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep promising to take some into work, but it never makes it that far.

      Delete