Thursday 2 May 2013

As I was elbowing my way out of the train station earlier.

I had a thought.

How many miles do we walk in a year, in a lifetime, because other people get in our way.  I know I am a bit of a geek, but I would love to know how long my regular journeys would take if I was able to walk at my own speed following the optimum route, without all the little detours caused by people suddenly stopping, or deciding to have a group chat just outside or inside an entrance.

I know everyone walks at different speeds, and I am not having a go at people who, for whatever reason, genuinely walk slower than I do.  My beef is with people who suddenly stop to look at something, or get something out of their bag, or look at their phones whilst in the middle of the main flow of footfall.  If you need to take stock of where you are, or need to look at or for something, move to the side and out of the way.  Certainly don't get off the escalator and just stop.


With this current 'me, me, me' trend people seem to have stopped being aware of what is going on around them with everyone believing that they, and their journey, are obviously far more important than anyone else's could possibly be.  This is made obvious by the people who sit on buses with their mobile phones belting out 'music' for all to hear instead of using earphones.

This morning, for instance, I was queueing to get on to the escalator after I had left the train, I could see an older man in a suit inching closer and obviously trying to get in front of me.  He soon learnt that he was trying to push in front of the wrong person.  I do feel bad that having to stand one step behind me was going to make him so much later to wherever he was going than standing one step in front of me would have done, but thems the breaks.

In happier news, I have won a £10 voucher for Costa Coffee from Freederm.  It is supposed to be used to treat the winner and a friend to coffee and cake, but it will do me twice.

I also have my first Bloglovin' follower, so thank you, you know who you are! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment